Type: App Feature
Role: UX Designer – research and design
Background: I set to make a feature that would improve the experience of Instagram for current users. My first idea was a repost feature, but as I did interviews, current users were complaining about information overload! I iterated on ways to break up content to make it more customizable and less overwhelming.
Originally, groups were hidden behind the single menu component (1), which activated a pop up (2), but users weren’t able to find the feature. I wanted to make the feature more visible.
- Switched the placement and visuals for current and suggested members to align with current Instagram conventions. Suggested users also toggle up using the triangle by the search bar.
- Eliminated search bar.
- Limited number of groups to 6 from unlimited because users all had a handful of types of accounts they followed on Instagram.
- The photos changed from recent posts, to users’ profile photos in the group to avoid confusion. Delete was also moved from this page to the specific group page.
- I streamlined the original flow and lists are now only seen by the list creator and include users they follow.
- Increased spacing between elements.